Monday, November 21, 2005

 

Going for a double (Dap) dip!

Friends, I have a confession to make. In so doing I may have to reinforce some stereotypes, but you'll believe me when I profess my desire not to offend. Ready? OK, here goes: I, Fat K Citizen, may well be the whitest human being on the planet. Clorox pale, vanilla pallid, raised in the basement beside the mushroom cellar W-H-I-T-E. Though this may not signify much, it does make one thing very certain. The FC, friends, does not dance. Not even a little bit. In fact, your correspondent's dancing moments can be charted quite clearly along with his other life-punctuating incidents of significant public embarrassment, like poorly delivered public speeches, sidewalk vomiting or cranium-cleaving hangovers. As a matter of fact, like many straight men my age, most of my dancing stories usually conclude with an incident of vomiting and/or hangover. I've concluded, therefore, that dancing may be dangerous to my health! Now, usually, this dancing aversion isn't an issue. I've already got a lovely girlfriend (no need to dance to impress the ladies) and rarely alter my mind on chemicals in public (reducing the "drunk-guy" dancing phenomenon considerably). I'm in the clear, I can continue to go to indie rock shows and stoically bob my head. On occasion I raise my stork-neck like arms several feet in the air and clap along with the drummer four times per measure. I'm comfortable in these habits. They have served me well. Leave it to Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings to rip me out of my comfort zone. The rhythm that this band lays down is compulsive, insistent and funky as hell. Sharon Jones is just under five feet and just over 100 pounds of bass-and-horn-fueled jet propulsion. The groove she and the Kings build demands a commitment. It forces you to do things you wouldn't normally be caught dead doing...toe tappin becomes necessary, ass shakin', required. As a matter of fact, if you don't dance, you might want to stay out of the front row. If, for example, you're the self-proclaimed whitest man in Montreal, and if you're standing in the front row to, say, take pictures for your music blog, Sharon Jones may take your hand and pull you on stage. You may be forced to dance in front of 400 people. Oh, the humanity. Listen to What Have You Done for Me Lately? (Hey! Buy the Rekkid!) So, knowing all that, there are several other things you should be aware of before you attend a Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings show. First, this is a band that brings excitement to a room long before they hit the stage. Sala Rosa was nearly packed Wednesday night and it seemed every person in the room was well into smiling and grooving before the show even kicked off. I can't remember the last time I was a party to such a genuine feeling of anticipation. (Memo to Blue Skies Turn Black...who was that DJ you had warming up the crowd and would s/he mind if I stole his/her entire record collection?) Second, single indie rockers stuck at boys-only hard-rock shows take note: soul music=dancing=pretty girls. Third, and most importantly, the hard work and musicianship Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings bring audiences are a gift to a generation of music-lovers who never got to see Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin or James Brown in their primes. They are a group of artists who give of their boundless talent joyfully and with the best of intentions. So, if you are in need of a good time, and if Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings are in your town, may I strongly suggest you spend your concert-going dollar and pay them a visit. Just remember to bring your dancing shoes. Pregnant Pause I'm not into starting rumours, pointing people in the direction of an interesting one, however...I'm down with that. Now that french classes are over, I guess I have to start looking for work again. Failing finding employment in the PR game (or the journalism one) I think I may just sit around on my couch drinking scotch and coming up with ideas for reality shows full time. God knows people are now stupid enough to participate in anything. ILB has come out with their latest annual listing of the Top 40 Bands in America Today. Coming soon, PWI's blatant Canadian ripoff. Looks like Jim Bryson and Hi Lo Trons have new tracks up on their Myspace pages (Jim's is excellent!) There's fandom, there's superfandom and then there's "cutting off your tackle when your team wins the big game". (best quote ever "I've always wanted kids, I guess I'll adopt.")
Comments:
Funny post FatC,

Morning Becomes Eclectic posted a great performance of Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, a while back. This is where I'd first heard of 'em.

-cdm
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?