Saturday, April 16, 2005

 

The OTHER 50: Episode 18

Wondering what all this is about? Before you begin, you might want to read days one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen and seventeen. The List so Far: Round 1: Hockey: Jane Siberry (Mike) Helpless: Neil Young (Keith) I Go Blind: 54-40 (Peter) Nothing at All: Maestro Fresh Wes (Aaron) Tired of Waking Up Tired: The Diodes (Carol) A Case of You: Joni Mitchell (Carl) Round 2: Have Not Been The Same: Slow (Mike) Hallelujah (Live): Leonard Cohen (Keith) Wheat Kings: The Tragically Hip (Pete) Vetoed By Carol Subdivisions: Rush (Carol) Vetoed By Keith Rags and Bones: Nomeansno (Carl) Round 3: One Great City!: The Weakerthans (Mike) Westray: Weeping Tile (Keith) Vetoed By Pete Deeper Than Beauty: Sloan (Pete) Having an Average Weekend: Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet (Aaron) I've Been Everywhere: Hank Snow (Carol) Illegal Bodies: Simply Saucer (Carl) Round 4: Help Me Rhonda: The Langley Schools Music Project (Mike) Vetoed By Pete Secret Heart: Ron Sexsmith (Aaron) (FC's note: Actually Aaron's Round 2 Catch Up Pick!) Daylight: The Nils (Keith) Barrett's Privateers: Stan Rogers (Pete) Vetoed By Mike War in Peace: Skip Spence(Aaron) Vetoed By Carol Static: Terrible Canyons of Static; Chart #3; World Police and Friendly: Godspeed You Black Emperor! (Carol) What About Me? The Nihilist Spasm Band (Carl) Vetoed By Keith Round 5: Blues For Big Scotia: Oscar Peterson (Mike) Sudbury Saturday Night: Stompin' Tom Conners (Keith) Little Girl: Death From Above 1979 (Pete) Brian Wilson (Live): The Barenaked Ladies (Aaron) Vetoed By Carl New York City: The Demics (Carol) Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: Buffy Sainte Marie (Carl) Round 6: Blues for Pablo: Gil Evans with Miles Davis (Mike) O Marie: Daniel Lanois (Keith) Can't You See: The Matt Minglewood Band (Pete) OK Blue Jays: The Bat Boys (Aaron) Vetoed By Keith Put the Blame On Me: Handsome Ned (Carol) Time to Get a Gun: Fred Eaglesmith (Carl) Round 7: Mike's Pick TK Curling: The Dik Van Dykes (Keith) The Deep End: Swollen Members (Peter) Andy: Mike O'Neill (Carol) Love the OTHER 50? HATE the OTHER 50? Think Billy Bragg's a better orator than Abe Lincon? Leave a comment! In today's (somewhat delayed) episode: Michael Forbes' guide to Paris' great bakeries. Peter Simpson's guide to great Canadian Hip Hop. Aaron Wherry's guide to the "Bullshit Ganster crowd." Carl Wilson's guide to Canadian reggae (really!) Carol Harrison's guide to being a displaced Expos fan. And the FC just sits around and looks pretty. Keith: Andy's a Nice little pop tune, Carol. I don't love it, but I don't dislike it enough to say the v word, even if I did have any left (I feel so very empty!) Aaron: Back to Peter's Swollen Members pick. Does picking a hip-hop track *just* because it's a hip-hop make sense? I guess Swollen Members just leaving me feeling the way people think they feel when they say they feel non-plussed. Meh. I'm not motivated to veto if I'm the only one rather unimpressed with Swollen Members. But one of the arguments in their favour shouldn't be - 'Well, we're Canadian. We're just not that good at the rap.' Frig. If we're just filling a gap, what about Kardinal? Or Buck? Or Michie Mee? Or like any of the individuals and groups guys like me just haven't yet discovered? That's at least part of the point of this here thing, no? Peter: Very true, Aaron, but I'm not picking Deep End just because it's hip hop, I'm picking it because I think it's a great song. There are others that could be picked, but none this good, in my mind. (I've been cool to Buck since I saw him live: it was like a Tom Waits tribute act, to the point where it significantly affected my ability to enjoy Buck's music.) As for your concern last night about the Members being the sort of HH liked by people who don't like HH, of the people I know who have one HH record and no interest in more, that record is by Eminem, or perhaps 50 Cent. Keith: Not that I want to get accused of "veto baiting" again but Aaron, it looks like you're looking for permission to drop the hammer on Swollen Members. If you gotta . . . you gotta. For what it's worth, I think this entire conversation has come pretty close to proving that we as a group aren't horribly qualified experts on Cana-hip-hop (Canuck-hop? Rn'Beaver? Awwww forget it!) Until then, I think Carl's got another pick for us. Carl: I'm nominating Cool It by Wayne McGhie & The Sounds of Joy (recorded in 1970, just reissued in 2004). (Listen to Cool It) A rediscovered gem, an R&B-cum-reggae band from the Jamaican soul scene of Toronto's late sixties and early seventies, an aspect of the city's musical history usually forgotten in all the Yorkville folk-rock hype - and given an extra frisson by the fact that after nearly all copies of this album were burned in a Scarborough warehouse fire, Wayne McGhie ended up descending into mental illness and disappearing until he was relocated for this reissue. Many of their songs were out-and-out funk, much prized by crate-digging breakbeat DJs today, but I think it's more true to the regional spirit to pick this Caribbean flavoured rock-steady original, the kind of tune McGhie would have sung at Caribana. Keith: I think earlier, Pete spoke of Simply Saucer as his favourite discovery of this excercise. I just found mine. What a great track! Cool It goes down as one of those "I defy you to listen to this and not bob your head" tunes. Great pick, Carl. It fills a gap on this list (we were looking more than a little white) and its an ass shaker at the same time! Carol: Yep. What FC said. And I like the backstory. The only other Canadian reggae band I recall is Messenjah who opened for The Clash in '84 at Maple Leaf Gardens. I know they had a "hit", but damned if I know it. Keith: Does Ska count? I've always kinda liked King Apparatus. More on this later. Aaron, do you have another pick? Aaron: To be honest, I was originally going to throw another song in here at this pick, but I'm still wrestling with it and a few other options. Luckily I kept this one in my back pocket - if only because we flirted with it at Carl's request earlier. With my latest pick, and last - I promise - choice of a television theme song, I'm going with Dolores Claman's original version of the Hockey Night in Canada title track. (Listen to The Hockey Night in Canada Theme - FC's Note, This is not the original version (which I don't have) Aaron's nominated track - doesn't have any of the annoying sound effects. Then again, if you're Canadian, you can sing this song without downloading it . . . ) Claman, a Vancouverite who would attended Julliard, is a widely accomplished composer in her own right but this remains her best known work, our country's secondary national anthem. Aside from its obvious merits and significance, it also touches on a whole world of music we've failed to get into here (an easy way out maybe, but a justified one I suspect). I don't think I need say much more. Next up for me... Billy Talent... (Kidding.) Peter: Aaron, excellent pick. I actually considered it myself. Though I don't watch (any) hockey, I can't imagine anybody can hear this song and not feel some twinge of I-am-Canandianness. Carol: I hear it and feel a twinge of thank-God-it's-baseball-season-ness.
Go Nats GO! Keith: I think this is a perfectly good pick. I agree with you Aaron (and may have said it myself) this is Canada's secondary national anthem. I think we would have avoided all talk of Quebec sovereignty had Soirée du Hockey Molson also adopted this theme song . . . Good pick! And, as an interesting side note: DOLORES CLAMAN SUES CBC Despite CBC's Hockey Night in Canada ignominiously becoming Movie Night in Canada, someone is still irritated at hearing the theme song that has been playing on the network since 1968. Former Canadian, now UK resident Claman, the song's composer, filed a lawsuit against CBC in November, claiming the broadcaster plays the song too often. She alleges that her contract stipulates the song (which is officially titled "Hockey Theme") only be played during Canadian broadcasts, and claims that the CBC is using it during games shown in other countries. She wants $2.5 million. Guess the few cents a hit she's getting since she uploaded the song to puretracks.com in April just isn't cutting it Wait one second, who is that wearing the beret and shaking croissant crumbs out of his sweater? Mike Forbes? With a pick from France? Mike: Sorry its been so long, everyone. I promised I'd think of Can-Con during the train trip from Paris to Chartres, but I lied. The closest I could get was the SNCF station chime, which is one note short of the intro to Platinum Blonde's "It Doesn't Really Matter" - which I of course sang incessantly whilst waiting for our train to leave Gare Montparnesse this morning. My wife loved it, yup L-O-V-E-D it. That song only gets better after 20 or so minutes of only singing the first verse in a crowded train station. Try it for your loved one, I urge you. Before I get to my pick, I just have to weigh in on Nouvelle Star - the French American Idol (if that makes sense). I know some of you may not be following this closely back home, but I'm sure you'll agree it's gripping TV. They're down to the final six contestants and I think Francine has to go. Her solo was very good last night, but in a group her total lack of range is so obvious. I'm not crazy about Mervyn, he's more musical theatre than pop idol. Pierrick is like Avril's younger, less talented brother, but with better hair. Myriam could challenge for it all, but her best work was clearly in an earlier episode when she sang the hell out of "All By Myself" - but as Hank Kingsely found out, you don't start things off with a show stopper. This may come back to haunt her. Hands down, the most talented is clearly Roland, but he looks like a French Lars Ulrich with some type of glandular disorder and he dances like Alex Van Halen. This may be more a deadly combination than ebola and avian flu and it has to catch up to him, at some point. It has to. I'll keep you all posted on how this develops, but their group finale of "Blame it on the Boogie" is worth a serious Internet search... Seeing as I'm now five or six picks behind I'm just going to jump in with a quick pick, then I'm off to finish the most incredible chocolate saboyan from our neighbourhood boulangerie (who medalled for Paris' best baguette in 2003, if that's not enough for you, their baguettes are only 1euro. I'm already looking forward to warm fresh croissants from them in the morning...if I don't come home with some sort of liver disorder than I really don't deserve to come home at all.) So here we go... (Listen to Log Driver's Waltz) The McGarrigle Sisters Log Driver's Waltz, written by Wade Hemsworth. I'm familiar with this track from the great NFB short. It doesn't get much more Canadian than this and it has a high sing-a-long quotient for Carl. If you want to veto it, that's cool as I'm planning on ripping it off to write a Sex in the City/ He's Just Not That Into You insta-book based on this track called, "A Log Driver's Waltz Pleases Girls Completely." Click here to read EPISODE NINETEEN.

Comments:
FC, so very impressed that the "OC" is now coming for quotes, Malcom Gladwell would be proud. Keep it up, and as long as Carl doesn't go for Men Without Hats at the end when there are no more V-Bombs the list should be sweet.

Squeegeeboy
 
Squeegeeboy, that's verging on libelous! We all know that it's Aaron who's saving up his Men Without Hats pick.

Me, I'm pulling for Carl to drop some seriously avant garde shit in the no-veto round. The NSB must be vindicated! Never mind the haters Carl! Long live the other Other 50!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Hey, just stumbled across this during some idle surfing... great picks by the 'panelists'...

Just want to throw in one (and please excuse this in advance, because I haven't read many of the comments and he may be mentioned) name that seemed to be forgotten both by you and the Corpse...

Murray McLaughlan and The Farmer Song...

Of course, I was listening to the final 10 on CBC when it hit me between the eyes what was missing from the list...

Murray's ode to the farmer is quintessentially Canadian, especially in these days of trade disputes and mad cow disease. Plus (and I may be mistaken, but I'm at least 70 per cent sure of this fact), The Farmer Song was the first song played on the Mighty Q...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?