Tuesday, October 19, 2004

 

Sick Week Will Not End!

Ethel's giving the air quotes because today's post only "sorta" belongs on an audio blog Just to make sure not ALL of my sick week (month?) correspondents are my virtual friends I asked my good man - and real world pal - Simp to get in on the sick week act. He came through in spades (mostly, I'd bet, because he's been feeling under the weather a bit lately as well.) I think there's something for nearly everyone in this list, no posted tracks though (sorry, I don't have any Ethel Merman in my record collection!). Simp's Songs of Sickness Entirely unnecessary explanatory note: I’ve generally stayed away from songs about addiction, which are plentiful in rock n roll, though I’m abitrarily made an exception for Steve Earle and John Prine, because I’ve decreed that their songs are as much about being sick as they are about resorting to drugs as a cure. And I’ve included songs about mental illness. Mark of Vaccination - Slim Cessna’s Auto Club (They’re not going to get sick, because they’ve been vaccinated.) The Right Profile - The Clash (Chronicles Montgomery Clift’s descent into sickness.) Why Does It Hurt When I Pee - Frank Zappa (“I don't want no doctor/To stick no needle in me...) Sick of Being Tired - Fiftymen (Fat city band's new song. As yet unreleased) Bodies - The Sex Pistols (“She was a case of insanity/ her name was Pauline she lived in a tree.”) Important note: Our eldest cat, Polly, is named for this song.) Gone Again - Patti Smith (lament for hubbie Fred, who got sick and died. Dogs - Pink Floyd (“And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around/ so have a good drown, as you go down, all alone/ dragged down by the stone.”) Also too good to pass up: CCKMP - Steve Earle Sam Stone - John Prine Making Plans for Nigel – XTC I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones Jesus Gonna Be Here - Tom Waits Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull Rock and Roll Suicide - David Bowie The Ledge - The Replacements Mother’s Little Helper - The Rolling Stones Paranoid - Black Sabbath It Is A Good Day to Die - Robbie Robertson In My Time of Dying - Led Zeppelin And, finally, one for hypochondriacs: You're Just in Love - Ethel Merman ("You don't need analyzin'/It is not so surprisin'/ That you feel very strange but nice ... there is nothing you can take/ To relieve that pleasant ache/ you're not sick, you're just in love.")
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?