Saturday, August 14, 2004

 

Rock and roll can change your life

There's this thing people, mostly men I'm told, have with lists. One I've been working on as recently as today is "Songs where the lead vocalist encourages a side man - usually the lead guitar player - to take a solo." Think James Brown screamin' "Cummon Drummer." in Cold Sweat or Bono telling the Edge to "Play the Blues," or, if you must, C.C. Deville "Pick(in) up that guitar and talk(in) to me," for Poison. Others that come to mind include: Wooly bully by Sam the Sham and the Pharos ("Go man go!") Elvis's Blue Suede Shoes ("Rock it!") Monkey Gone to heaven by the Pixies ("Rock me, Joe") Lovin' Every Minute of It by Loverboy ("Cummon!") even, arguably, the "Shah!" leading into the guitar/bagpipes solo in Big Country's "In a big country" This blog will include MP3s you haven't heard, that I think you might like . . . wherever you are. Playing while I type: Outcast: Nathaniel and Elbow: Independant Woman
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?